Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Career in Style

I am excited to work on this article because I will feature one of the people that possess the most pleasant personality that I know from the clubbing industry. She is very fashion forward yet remains classy and chic. But more than her fashion sense, she's very successful with her chosen career path and for most of young women that desires to be in the clubbing industry she is someone that they can look up to.

I was lucky to have this chance to know more about her so without any further delay let's get to know more about Ms. Dee Viray and learn how to be gracious and glamorous while working in the club.



When did you start working at a club? 


The Housekidz 
I started working as promoter at Icon Ultimate Club, mid year of 2012. That's where I met , my now best friend, Eriq Windsor, eventually became partners in promoting the club. During that time he was a promoter and at the same time the leader of the group which is "The Housekidz" .  The Housekidz, promotes local House DJs, well bascially we promote house music.

Dee and  her bestfriend Eriq


At first, all I wanted to do was to help him out and never really get paid  from it. He then decided to make me as his partner,from then on I decided to be a full time promoter, resigned with my day job and concentrated on promoting the club. 

"Eriq, my best friend, and the people I met along the way thought me a lot of things in the industry, mainly putting my feet on the ground and of course, RESPECT. "

NEW CHAPTER IN HER CAREER ...

Dee at work as a "Door Bitch"
"Time in Manila then hired me as their "Door bitch." They thought me a lot specially with the administrative work. More importantly, I learned the in and out's of the clubbing industry that includes organizing outside events." 

"I even handled 2 international artists working as their road manager. I then decided to step up my career and applied for the other company well known in the business and was then hired as a VIP Services Supervisor. "

"I started handling Republiq Club, then Universe night club and lastly Valkyrie night club which is the first club that opened at The Palace Manila, Uptown BGC."

Moving right along with our email conversation I asked Dee additional questions about her journey working in the Clubbing industry.

What type of people have you come across with and how did you manage to handle them?

In a span of 2-3 years in this industry, I encountered a lot of people with different personalities and learned how to handle each and one of them. 

"Through handling the door, I learned how to read people and have my judgement call when needed. Which is very important. You have to learn how to think whats good for you or for the club and at the same time what's in it for the guest."

Dee continues ... "Complaints will always be there no matter. It’s a matter of how you will handle the complaint and find a resolution right away.  You have to know everyone, like your regulars, your VIPs VVIPs etc…."



"Grace Under Pressure"


How do you take care of difficult guests ?

"Easy", let them vent out first and listen to their complaint. 

Once they are done "ranting", that’s the time you may explain what happened and at the same time you need to have a resolution for them right away.

"In this industry, there are some instances that guests are really difficult that you have no choice but to send them out of the club." 

For example, guests who curse or sometimes being physical. I just hate guests who have attitude. Dee stressed out "I respect the people who work in the club, from front liners, to the waitstaff and utilities"…. She explains that ,"If guests cant respect them and cant handle their attitude, might as well not go clubbing" 

On a serious note as he continues... "that’s how I read people (guests in particular),how they treat the staff of a specific club."  

Dee and her Fashion Sense at Work


Many of us object to being judged for employment based on how we look. We prefer to be hired because of our skills and abilities, not because of our dress and grooming. BUT like it or not, appearance is important. 

Let us now dig deeper on Ms.Dee's fashions style and how she maintain to be in the loop of what is "Yay or Nay" when it comes to Club wear.



Photo of Dee during a Halloween Ball
Who's your fashion icon?

I really don’t have one in particular. When styling myself, I'm just being myself and it’s the only way I know how to express myself everyday. 

You were featured at enhance.net how does it feel that you are being looked up to by young Clubbers ?

Photo Grabbed from enhanced.net
I totally forgot about being featured on the website and I really don’t see myself being looked up to. It’s a very humbling experience for people to know you and now being told that im being looked up to by the young crowd. Again, I always just put my feet on the ground. Surprisingly people do know me when I cant even remember where and when I met them. But definitely it was an honor for me to be of service and to be a role model for some aspiring promoters and VIP Services Officer.

The clothes you wear affect all your attitude and confidence levels. When people take the time to dress for success, they tend to feel good about themselves. Image alone will not win the job offer, but it will go along way in building respect. ***Source: http://www.columbustech.edu/career-connections/attire.htm





RULE OF THUMB in STYLING by Dee Viray :

"Less is more" even in accessorizing. 


I really don’t wear too much accessories and keep it to a minimum. In fact, I always wear the same watch or necklace over and over again till I get a new favorite piece. 

Black will always be elegant and sexy no matter what for me. You’ll rarely see me with printed or colored tops.And lastly, just because its "IN",  it suits you already. NO IT DOESN’T GO THAT WAY . 

I always make sure that I have my own style that people will remember me of. Explore and don’t be afraid to mix and match. 



Dee Viray's Fashion Essentials


Invest in good shoes, watches and bags as well. Oh, and always make sure you have the basic clothing necessities such as white collared shirts, round neck shirts, a nice jeans, slacks, a good coat etc…..

Career advice for young girls out there who wants a career as a VIP host supervisor

My advise for them? 

"Passion, Hardwork and Commitment". Its not just getting paid for your job, you really need to know how everything works. 

The young girls don’t really see whats happening before the clubs open and it is where the action really starts. I have huge respect to the big bosses for all the stress that they endure everyday. Not to scare them thou, but if you really want to be in this industry, you need to know what you really are going into.

What in it for Dee Viray this 2016?

More success and adventure in life. Im a single mother of 4 kids  and all I wanted in life is to give them a good life and pure happiness.  I don’t normally plan and live my life day by day. I always believe that God has a plan for me.

And before we close our conversation it interest me to ask since most of people experience this after all the alcohol intake after clubbing.



HOW DO YOU MANAGE TO STAY GLAMOROUS ON A TRASHY DAY? Dee laughed and answered . "OMG! I feel trashy everyday" . Hydrate is the key, "if you can get sleep. Please do. I guess sleep makes me look "OK" the next day or so. I rarely take vitamins but I suggest that you do and choose to be happy .  




There you go folks. I learned a lot from her, very inspiring words hope you got tips and tricks from "Dee" one and only Dee Viray.



***Photos grabbed from Dee Viray FB/IG account.

No comments:

Post a Comment